Opening sequence-Little Blue

Monday 4 January 2010

Evaluation6

6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
Over the whole film process I have learnt a lot about the technology used to help make and develop our film.
We used a canon xh1 camera which was definitely useful; the quality of camera was excellent. Everything we need was placed o the camera with the pause, play, panning, tracking and stop we had all the initials. We had tripods which helped with the spirit levels so the camera person was comfortable and didn’t struggle. We were able to move about with the camera and get solid shots.

Here I will give a step by step process on what exactly the camera did for us. Firstly due to the tracking we were able to track through the door and make that shot look real and magical which is the effect we wanted to get. Now because we had the tracking we could go according any pace we wanted to go to, which was really helpful for us because we mange to get this shot exactly how we wanted.
Another positive thing about the camera is that we were able to pan, now panning was the most important element in our film because most of shots we wanted to pan from prop to prop like showing the fairytale books then teddy etc, so because of how flexible the camera is we were able to do so.

Thirdly we were able to get zooms in which is what we needed for when we showing the props, photo frame. This was also important to us because without this zoom our film would not have been clear but we were successful in getting this zoom.
The camera did another excellent job and that was allowing us to get practice shots, now because we could pause and stop we could practice before filming which was really essential to us because we had some difficulties in getting some shots but after a number of practicing we were able to get it.
The camera got us many high angle shots of the props, it also gave us low angle shots. Just due the camera me and my group were very successful in getting all how shots correctly.

Another technology equipment we used was sound which was useful the sound is long it was not seen in our shots, it stayed hidden which was something we were worries about because we had mirrors but because we were able to move the sound about it did not affect our group.

We managed to get some sounds from the merry go round which is the sound we wanted to use to hopefully create a fairytale like sound. Although the mic caught a lot of creeks and picked up a number of sounds we then decided to use a non diegetic sound which could be played throughout our film. We also wanted sound which would attract our target audience more.

The film process was a long stressful period because we had minor issues, the camera was too dark but because the camera person had been taught to use the camera we were able to change the settings and brighten up our shots more. Another problem we faced was sound because we had planned to use the merry go round the other sounds that the camera was picking up made it difficult to be heard but we overcame this because we already had in mind what other sound we could use like the non diegetic sound we found previously. Thirdly a problem that occurred were that some shots we planned to do were too difficult due to lack of space or camera problems but because the canon xh1 is excellent we could simply pause or stop and then practice our shot until it was perfect. So we eventually overcame all our problems it was long but it was done.
Editing was the last element of technology we used to cut, add and use special effects and get our perfect opening.

I will again give a step by step process on how useful editing was to me and my group. We had taken a number of shots so we were firstly able to pick out the best shots for our opening, we could view what shots we needed and what ones we didn’t. We were then able to put all our shots in place of the order we wanted and through this we could cut out any long scenes, e.g. our first shot is the ceiling because the shot was too long we managed to narrow the shot down which was very useful so we did this with may of our shots.

Now that our opening was in order we needed to make its exactly how we wanted, s we added more lighting to brighten up our shots this was mainly useful for the last shot where we had flowers lighting up and the lighting worked effectively.
Now we had got an idea from Edward scissor hand which we wanted to use and that was dissolves so from shot to shot we wanted dissolves. We were able to get this effect where from the doll house it dissolves to the books then colors it was really good and made our opening even more successful because we added the effects we wanted. We could also give our opening a slow pace which was another effect we used where we slowed down our sequence and made it flow this was to avoid fast pace and keep our audience focus.

Now we needed our sound placed onto our film now as I said before we had in mind what we were going to use so it was already stored on our usbs so we copied it to adobe premiere and our music was attached. We did come across some problems; the music wasn’t playing although it was attached so we had keeping copying and deleting but eventually the music started working and went nicely with our opening.
Lastly we had to include titles so we each did some practice titles on what we felt would be good, after many feedback from our class members we managed to get an appropriate title which went nicely with our opening and would definitely attract our audience as we used a typical fantasy title.

Through editing I learnt a lot during this process considering the fact that I had difficulties with editing before hand. In the past I had know knowledge in editing I didn’t know how to step up I had no clue what so ever on how to use adobe premiere. Members in my group know how to edit so I slowly became aware of how use this where to put where etc so now I able to step up the equipment for editing e.g. plugging lead into computer and adding the camera. I learnt how to edit I am not the best but have improved as how to group shots cut out shots etc which is something I happy I accomplished because it was aspect I was dreading because I found it the most difficult but s they say practice makes perfect.

Through this whole process I learnt a lot about camera movements and shots which I never knew before like panning and tracking. Editing was one of my weakest points and I managed to learn how to use and develop my skills even more I know in future if asked to edit I will not have a problem. Now due to the technologies we used our film was successful.

My role was to use the sound equipment, here I definitely learnt how to use sound because before hand I had practiced and researched how to use sound equipment. My role was important because I could inform my group on the sound being picked up like creeks on the floor, speech between members in m group etc. My knowledge in this has progressed because I know how to use sound and how important sound can be to a film and reasons why its used. Through sound I learnt how to edit sound and ad sound.
Lastly I learnt many health and safety issues like packing away camera when finished this is so no hazards occur, we also learnt not to leave wires around like the xlr lead which could also be hazardous.

No comments:

Post a Comment